19 Jul Psychiatrist Compensation Trends in 2023
As the healthcare landscape continues to evolve, so does the compensation for physicians across various specialties, including psychiatry.
In this post, we will explore the latest compensation trends for psychiatrists in 2023, based on two reputable sources: Medscape’s ‘Physician Compensation Report’ and Physicians Thrive’s ‘2023 Physician Compensation Report’. Understanding these trends is crucial for both aspiring psychiatrists and healthcare organizations seeking to hire and retain top talent in the field.
Medscape’s 2023 Physician Compensation Report
According to Medscape’s survey of 10,000 physicians, here are the key statistics on the compensation of psychiatrists in 2023:
- Psychiatrist Average Salary: Psychiatrists earn an average annual salary of $309,000 in 2023, marking an 8 percent increase from the previous year. This places psychiatry as the 20th highest-paid specialty among physicians.
- Job Satisfaction: An impressive 68 percent of psychiatrists reported feeling fairly compensated for their work, reflecting overall job satisfaction in the field.
- Incentive Bonus: The average incentive bonus awarded to psychiatrists in 2023 was $37,000, indicating the value placed on their contributions to patient care and outcomes.
- Work Hours: Psychiatrists work an average of 46.6 hours per week, with approximately 16 of those hours devoted to paperwork and administrative tasks.
- Career Contentment: A significant 84 percent of psychiatrists expressed that they would choose the same specialty again if given the chance, highlighting their dedication and passion for their profession.
Physicians Thrive’s 2023 Physician Compensation Report
Physicians Thrive’s report sheds further light on the compensation landscape for psychiatrists in 2023:
- Median Compensation: The median compensation for psychiatrists in 2023 was $299,000, indicating a slightly lower average compared to Medscape’s findings.
- Ranking among Specialties: Psychiatry ranks as the seventh-lowest in median salary among all specialties, ranking 21 out of 27.
- Incentive Bonus: According to this report, the average incentive bonus offered to psychiatrists in 2023 was $33,000, showcasing the continued recognition of their contributions.
- High Demand and Recruitment: Psychiatry remains among the top 10 most recruited physician specialties, highlighting its significance in meeting the mental health needs of communities.
The field of psychiatry remains a highly recruited and vital specialty within healthcare. Despite ranking lower in median compensation among physician specialties, psychiatrists express high levels of job satisfaction and a strong desire to continue pursuing their careers. As healthcare organizations seek to attract and retain top talent in psychiatry, understanding these compensation trends is essential to ensure fair and competitive packages.
Contact Annashae Today
Are you a psychiatrist seeking new opportunities or a healthcare organization looking to hire top talent in psychiatry? Contact Annashae Healthcare Staffing today to explore how we can connect you with the best-fit solutions for your career or staffing needs across the United States. Our dedicated nationwide staffing company is here to support you every step of the way.