05 May Unsure About Working in a Practice Setting? Try Locum Tenens Work Before Making a Commitment
For physicians just beginning their careers or doctors looking for a change of pace, locum tenens assignments offer the opportunity to explore different practice settings without making a long-term commitment. Whether you’ve just finished your residency or are considering shifting to part-time work, knowing your options is the first step toward discovering new career possibilities.
Is Locum Tenens Work Right for You?
Locum Tenens Work Allows Doctors to Practice in Settings Like These:
- Larger Organizations. The hospital setting has many opportunities for physicians who enjoy working in larger organizations.
- Urgent Care Facilities. Urgent care clinics often need help and allow doctors to provide one-on-one care to patients.
- Medical Groups. Working in a medical group allows physicians the opportunity to learn from seasoned practitioners.
- Private Practice. Covering a vacation or sabbatical can offer the opportunity to experience the life of a physician in private practice.
- Rural Areas. Many rural areas don’t have the resources to support a full-time practice but offer rewarding opportunities to locum tenens physicians.
- Correctional Facilities. Modern correctional facilities provide a broad range of services and provide the opportunity to serve an underserved population.
- Federal Facilities. Facilities like the VA and DOD accept any state medical licenses. It also provides the opportunity to give back to those who serve and have served.
How to Choose the Best Locum Tenens Setting for You
With the wealth of practice settings available to you, it can be difficult to decide what will bring you the most satisfaction. Fortunately, locum tenens work allows you to try out many practice settings short-term before committing. You might not know what kind of work appeals to you until you experience it firsthand!
Here are a Few Factors to Consider When Choosing a Locum Tenens Assignment:
- Geographic Location. Locums work is available in most parts of the country and offers the chance to travel for those who enjoy it. Some doctors choose assignments based on hobbies such as skiing, diving, or antiquing. Others stick close to home to be near family or keep up with other responsibilities.
- Competitive Pay Rates. Locums work often offers a highly competitive pay rate. Knowing the market rate for your specialty in that geographic area can help you choose the best assignment for you.
- Patient Volume. Do you prefer a smaller practice setting with lots of one-on-one time with patients? Or do you thrive in a fast-paced work environment where you can provide care to a larger number of patients? Often, patient volume affects pay rate, so that is another factor to consider.
- Length of Assignment. Locum tenens work comes in a variety of assignment lengths. Are you looking for a 6-month stint in a new-to-you location? Or would you prefer to work one weekend a month in a nearby hospital? Perhaps you want to pick up one shift a week covering on-call hours in private practice. The flexible nature of locums work allows you to choose assignments based on what is best for your schedule.
Work With Annashae for the Best Locum Tenens Assignments
Annashae strives to ensure the best possible match between our practitioners and clients. Our experienced recruiters are available 24/7 and will help you determine the best practice setting for your interests and career goals. Partner with us to explore locum tenens opportunities today!